Are You Ready for a New Smile?
Deciding to pursue dental implants is just the first step toward a complete smile. The next is to determine whether you’re a candidate for dental implants. There’s more going on under your gums than you realize, and a dental implant provider like Center Valley Dental can help identify what it takes to ensure a successful dental implant treatment.
What Makes a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
Here’s a quick list of common traits found in dental implant candidates. Keep in mind that even if you don’t fall under all of these traits, this does not disqualify you from dental implants:
- One or More Missing Teeth: Dental implants are best for patients who are already missing teeth, or are at risk for missing teeth. Whether you lost your teeth due to disease, age, or by accident, these types of patients are most eligible for the treatment.
- Jawbone and Gum Tissue Support: Osseointegration is a vital part of the dental implant process, and the jawbone provides the foundation for this process to take place. If a patient has an insufficient jawbone, then the dental implant may struggle to bond with the jawbone; the same can be said for the gum tissue. If that’s the case, a bone graft or soft tissue augmentation may be needed to help replenish those areas.
- Without Any Oral Diseases: Contagious diseases like tooth decay or gum disease can easily spread from tooth to tooth, so it’s important to address these conditions prior to dental implant treatment.
- Understanding of the Process: The dental implant process is not an instant procedure: each piece of the implant is placed one at a time, and oftentimes requires periods of healing between placements. This way osseointegration can fully take root and your dental implant has a higher chance of success.
Even if you do not meet all these requirements, be sure to speak to Dr. Matthew Lang first about all of your dental implant options.
How to Improve Your Dental Implant Candidacy
If you have been told by another dental implant provider that you may not be a candidate for dental implants, don’t feel discouraged. There are a few ways to improve your chances for qualification by adhering to these following steps:
- Consistent Oral Care: Remember to brush your teeth at least twice a day, as well as floss. If you find signs of cavities, gum disease, or are having trouble with your current dental devices, don’t hesitate to ask us for help.
- Break Bad Habits: Smoking, heavy alcohol consumption, teeth grinding, and using your teeth to tear open packaging can negatively impact your tooth health. Preserve what’s left of your smile by abstaining from these bad habits.
- Supplemental Treatments: If your jawbone has deteriorated, a supplemental treatment such as a bone graft or sinus lift could remedy this problem. These procedures ensure that your jawbone is ready and healthy enough to support your dental implants.
What to Expect During Your Dental Implant Consultation
If you’re questioning whether you’re a candidate for dental implants, your first step is scheduling an appointment with Dr. Matthew Lang and Center Valley Dental. Once you enter our warm and welcoming office, your mouth will be digitally scanned so we can get a better look at the gaps in your smile and the state of your jawbone volume. Then, we’ll construct a comprehensive treatment plan that fits your dental implant needs and answer any questions you may have.
Preparing for dental implants can seem intimidating, but we’re here to help simplify the process and make sure that you fully understand what to expect from your treatment. You’ll also receive an estimate regarding the cost of your treatment.
The above lists are generalized traits that have either propelled or put dental implants on hold for a patient in the past. However, this does not mean that possessing the above traits prohibits you from dental implant treatment. Instead, schedule a consultation with Dr. Lang and learn more about what you can do to improve your candidacy at Center Valley Dental. Discover how Lehigh Valley cosmetic dentistry can change your smile and your life!